Two issues that employers are increasingly dealing with are concerns over drug use by employees as well as how to handle threats of violence or weapons in the workplace.
As the opioid addiction crisis grows, employers are increasingly torn between wanting to help an employee who is struggling but minimize the risks to the company. Employers are also under pressure to be proactive and reduce the risk of potential violence in the workplace, or be faced with consequences.
The Illinois Chamber of Commerce is hosting a training on Guns and Drugs in the Workplace, on Thursday, Dec. 13 from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Innovate Springfield, located at 15 South Old State Capitol Plaza. Topics to be covered include:
- What employers should know about drug addiction (prescription or illegal)
- Potential drug testing concerns and laws
- Update on the status of the Illinois Medical Marijuana law (and potential for recreational marijuana)
- Rules regarding firearms and weapons in your workplace
- Illinois concealed carry law