In a Sept. 13 letter sent to customers, Chase informed clients the branch at 531 E. Washington St. will be closing Dec. 12 and referred customers to the location at 200 S. Dirksen Parkway. Chase also has a west side location at 2801 Greenbriar Dr.
In October 2019, Chase relocated its downtown branch and Springfield headquarters to the first and second floors of the building at the northwest corner of Sixth and Washington streets. Chase donated its previous headquarters, the Greek Revival-style building across the street at 1 E. Old State Capitol Plaza, to the Illinois state treasurer’s office.
Until Chase vacated the space in 2019, that building had been home to a banking facility since the 1830s, first as State Bank, and later Springfield Marine and Fire Insurance Company beginning in 1851. Abraham Lincoln banked there from 1853 until his death, and the original Lincoln family account ledger has continued to be on display.
The building itself has undergone multiple changes over the years, according to the Sangamon Valley Collection records. Originally constructed in 1839 in the Greek Revival style, construction of a new building – a three-story Romanesque brownstone – began in 1886. Continued growth made it necessary to build yet again, and in 1920 that building was razed to make way for another Greek Revival building that echoed the style of the original building.
A major exterior renovation in 1977 was designed by Ferry & Henderson Architects and completed at a cost of $4.5 million, expanding the building to the north side of the block.
Representatives from Chase did not respond to requests for comment regarding the upcoming closure.